Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sunday in Sarria

Pilgrims filling up at the fountain outside of San Xil.



As I began my journey to Sarria (Population 14,000) I had a choice of two paths.  The longer one passed the Benedictine monastery of Samos the shorter one was along more natural paths.  I chose the shorter route and was pleasantly rewarded.  The fewer K certainly did not hurt my feet.  But the greater reward was the terrain of the path.  It reminded me of upstate New York.  The forest, streams and hills looked so much like the Catskills or even the Monroe area where I used to spend summers with my aunt and cousins.  It was so refreshing to walk through.


I Love New York!:  Am I entering the Catskills?  


I arrived in town as Sarria was celebrating its town feast of John the Baptist this weekend.  In fact I just arrived in time for the "Running of the Bulls."   I must say it was both comical and pathetic compared to the videos of Pamplona.  But at least I can say I was there.  Besides the "Bulls," there was a street fair by the river and a night concert.  I will be tucked in bed by then for sure.


Glimpsing the Bulls.


There was a special Mass in the Church of Santa Marina which I missed.  I looked around the old city and then had lunch.  I met a lovely Dutch couple who were headed back on the road after eating.  Arkansas Sarah joined me for some very entertaining conversation.


Sanctuary, Santa Marina Church, Sarria


I went for Mass at San Salvador in the evening.   I'm not sure if it was because of the large liturgy earlier or the fair but it was almost exclusively pilgrims and not many at all.



The Torre, Sarria.

Before calling it a night I went up to the "Fort and Tower" park where the night concert will take place.  At 8PM there were only musicians practicing.   It's going to be a late night in Sarria!  On the way down I ran into Richard.  He got a late start and took the longer path so he arrived around 4PM.   We walked down to the river fair before parting ways.


Festive flags flying at City Hall.

Tomorrow is an early start to Portomarin.  There are only five days to Santiago.  I just hope there is room!



Albergues are filling earlier and earlier now.

No comments:

Post a Comment