Saturday, June 8, 2013

Castrojeriz

Arch and remains of the Convent of San Anton. 


I slept in today - 7AM.   And decided to take breakfast since I had a short walk to Castrojeriz.  Not only was it short- about 12K.  There were almost no hills and about half of it was on a quiet side road.  I was very content as I left about 8AM.  On the way we literally passed through the ruins of the Convent of San Anton.  Built in the 14th century it was a home to nuns who among other things took care of pilgrims to Santiago.

View through the ruins of the Convent of San Anton.


Even though it's not a long journey I want to stay and explore the village which has about 1,000 people compared to Hontanas' 80, because it has all the right ingredients:  ruins of a castle (from which it gets its name), 2 monasteries, 2 churches and a few restaurants.  The village is shaped like a cashew nut hugging the mountain under the castle.  There are also lovely views into the valley.



Entrance to the Church of Our Lady of the Apple.

Sadly I received word that Bishop Sullivan died yesterday after last week's accident.  I was present a a 7th grader when he was ordained a bishop and had the privilege of serving as his MC for a few years.  He was truly a wonderful and dedicated priest.   He placed all his gifts and talents at the service of God's People.  I no doubt he is receiving his heavenly reward.  I'll offer Mass for him tonight.



Looking up to the castle.


No comments:

Post a Comment