Friday, June 14, 2013

Lovely Leon

The River Park.

After 8:30PM Mass that had more local folks than pilgrims, I was up early for the relatively short walk into León:  less than 12 miles.  By leaving before 7 it would make rue most of my walking would before the heat of the day and give me some extra time to get lost in the city.  I lucked out in that I was at the Cathedral of Santa Maria de Leon before 11AM.  Along the way I met Jean from Dublin whose husband I had previously met in Calzada de los Hermanillas.  She is from County Mayo in Ireland a is my father.  This is the second time they have been on the Camino.  They hope to finish it in three stages over three years.  There were also two Canadians from Calgary who were very chatty.  I quickly found my hotel for the next two nights behind the Cathedral just outside the Medieval Wall and was surprised that my room looks out at the Cathedral spires.



Plaza Santo Domingo.


Leon has its roots in the Romans who based their VII Legion here (Legion became Leon).  It has over 130, 000 people and is on both banks of the Bernega River.  Similar to Burgos it ha an "Old City" with most of the sights and a beautiful river park.  It has more of the ancient street plan preserved so it is like a maze at times revealing wonderful surprises.



Cathedral of Santa Maria, Leon.

I did some walking along the river park where I stumbled across Leon's only McDonald's and partook. Then I plopped down at an outdoor table in front of the Cathedral for a glass of vino tinto and watch the world go by.  Mass was at 6PM in the "pay to enter Cathedral."  It was in a separate chapel like in Burgos.   Tomorrow I will concelebrate somewhere else.   They were not too welcoming.


Church of St. Martin.

After Mass I went for a walk and I cannot tell you how great the crowds were in the streets and at the restaurants.  in fact some restaurants and bars had people eating and drinking in the streets.   People of all sorts and ages, most of whom were dressed so beautifully were out enjoying a Friday night.  I stayed out till sunset 10PM and then back to my room.



Plaza and Basilica of St. Isidore (at 9:45PM!)

No comments:

Post a Comment