Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Calzadilla de la Cueza - Half Way in the Middle of Nowhere

Entrance to the Monastery Church of San Zolo.


I had a glorious beginning to my midpoint day.  No rain and it was the first day I began without wearing my sweatshirt.   If it gets better - it did:  no hills!  The walk was lovely.  A little overcast, and the cool head-wind was refreshing and not cold.  The majority of the path was on the old Roman Aquitaine Road that was covered over.

Marker indicating the ancient Roman Road of the Via Aquitaine.


While I was planning to go further, when I got to Calzadilla de la Cueza I knew I had to stay here.   All the town has is an albergue, a hostel, a restaurant/bar (all owned by one family) and a church.   The population is like 50.    I am in the middle of nowhere and it's perfect.


View from the path (Via Aquitana).

There is a lovely patio in front of the bar and I quickly took up residence there.  I tried to enjoy the beautiful day a best as possible.   While sitting there and watching the pilgrims come round the corner I got to meet two special Germans:  Julia (I think I wrote about here before) who began in St. Jean with me on the same day.  She was just leaving as I arrived.   We chatted for a bit, said "Hi" and "Buen Camino."  After a bit Tomas from Berlin at down next to me.   At 27 he is a veteran of the Camino.   He completed his first in 2010 with his father.   Now he is doing a third of it on his own.  We had a lovely discussion over a few beers.  Who know.   Maybe we will see each other before he goes home from Leon.  He moved on to keep walking while I walked to the restaurant for a lovely meal.


The growing grains blowing in the breeze.


The parish church of Saint Martin does not offer Mass during the week so I am on my own.



Church of Saint Martin,  Calzadilla de la Cueza

Tomorrow I leave before dawn to travel 22.5 miles to make up for stopping early today (Yikes! Over a 7 hour trek!). 


View from the albergue window.


No comments:

Post a Comment