Monday, June 24, 2013

Portomarin

Bonfire in waiting.


Still smoldering the next morning.




I left Sarria at 7AM.  It was clear that there was a party all night.  In fact, the bonfire was still smoking.  I heard the fire works exploding around midnight.  I later saw Arkansas Sarah and he said he stayed out until after 1:30AM and the party was till going strong.  Albergues by rule have a curfew.  Many relaxed that curfew so the pilgrims could go to the festivities.



One of the tree covered trails on the way to Portomarin.

The walk was wonderful.   The weather could not have been better.   It was varied.  And there were not any steep descents until the last 5K.  At the end of the hike was something that we had yet to see:  water (as in a lake, or more specific, a reservoir).  It felt great to feel the cool breeze off the water as we approached the lovely hilltop village of Portomarin.  It was relocated in 1962 to make way for the reservoir.  In fact the government moved some buildings, the 12th century church of St. Nicholas included, stone by stone.



Arkansas Sarah gives a thumbs up despite half a night's sleep.


As expected the trails were much more crowded.   In fact there are two Spanish youth groups that were beginning their Camino.  Each had about 25 kids (Ouch)!  I did all in my power to pass one.  Theirs was more of a party atmostphere with the excitement of the first day and so they were doing a lot of fooling around and noisemaking.



Bruce (Louisiana), Martin (Madrid) and John (Illinois) resting
before  Bruce and John set out again.
Upon arrival at Portomarin, I got my bed and went to the main plaza for lunch where I ran into many familiar faces.  Most of the younger folks were continuing on to the next town about 10K away.  I was content to enjoy some chat and good food before a nap and evening Mass.  I already met the priest (I had to ask for directions) and found out he is a visitor covering for the pastor who is on vacation.


Portomarin as it sits above the reservoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment