Sunday, June 2, 2013

Corpus Christi in Santo Domingo de la Calzada

I should have known I was in trouble when I saw the movie screen,
Daily Mass Chapel-Santa Maria Real, Najera



Last night I posted in Najera before going to Mass.  It was my worse experience at church in years.  More sadly it was the anticipated Mass of Corpus Christi.   And if every cloud has a silver lining, the priest cut so much out that we were out of Mass in less than a half hour (with singing).  So my "Very Good Day" didn't end very well.


Look at the 7:15AM Traffic!


I slept in an extra 20 minutes and was on the road to Santo Domingo de la Calzada by 6:50.  It was threatening and overcast but again not a drop!  The walk was a relatively short one:  little over 13 miles and a climb of about 250 meters.  I was done in 4 1/2 hours.  I think I figured I'm going about 3 miles/hr with climbing hills, descents (which are much worse) and about 25 lbs on my back.  I wasn't alone in arriving before the alburgues opened at 12.   But they did let us leave our backpacks so we could see the village.


Approaching Santo Domingo de la Calzada.



What I found was a village humming because it was the feast of Corpus Christi and everyone was getting ready for the Mass and Procession through the streets with the Blessed Sacrament (bands and decorations included).  I was most impressed with the floral "carpets that were made (at least 20 that were spread on the route to honor the Lord in the Eucharist.  Mass was at 1PM and so I made sure that I got my bed, showered and returned well before.


People preparing the streets for the Eucharistic Procession.



I was concerned that this might be another church disaster when the only entrance to the church was through a kiosk like at a movie theatre:  4 euros to see the church; 5 to see church and museum!  When I told the man I wanted to go to the Mass he let me in free.  Thank God Mass is still free.  Because of the chaotic nature of the day (choirs, servers, ushers, First Communion Children it was by far the craziest sacristy I was in.   A young priest, Carlos, greeted me and said the bishop was saying the Mass.  I wanted to leave since I was in my flip-flops but he convinced me to stay and had me vested before the bishop arrived.

One of the 20 or so "carpets" over which the Blessed Sacrament and faithful passed.


Mass was great.  The bishop mentioned me and the other pilgrims in the spirit of Santo Domingo.  The procession was not super large but it lasted almost an hour ending in the main square next to the Cathedral.  After Mass I went for my meal (so did everyone else) in one of the crowded restaurants.
It was just a great day to be Catholic and made up for yesterday for sure.


The band.



This town is named after a saint who spent most of his life helping pilgrims to Santiago.  He took care of pilgrims and built a lot of infrastructure almost a thousand years ago for the route I am walking now. Of course those roads and bridges have been done over thank goodness.


The last Altar with the Blessed Sacrament.
(I only took this picture when Fr. Carlos took his - see his raised camera).

No comments:

Post a Comment