Thursday, June 13, 2013

Mansilla de las Mulas


Sunrise outside of Hermanillos de la Calzada



After a long day yesterday I was on the road before dawn which was nice to see.  Today's walk was about 16 miles.   It was mostly flat and most of the path was good.   Luckily it was overcast (not rainy) as there was no shade on the way.  Because of my aches from yesterday and the lack of hills I was going faster than normal.  I guess I just wanted it to end.

The Via Romana -
It might have been state of the art two millennia ago but it will kill your knees today 


I met a lovely couple from Switzerland on Tuesday.  They have been on the same route as me now the past few days and will head into Leon together tomorrow.  I will be there for two days (in a hotel!) they are not sure what they are doing yet.  This morning they left at 6AM in the pre-dawn twilight.  I found them about 7 on the side of the road having breakfast. I continued on and was able to see them again as they arrived at Mansilla de las Mulas.  Part of the treat of today's walk is that it was over the Via Romana: a road made almost 2,000 years ago.  It's crazy to think of the tons of rock moved for this road and the distances it came from.  It's not the best for walking, though, and my body is reminding me of that.


Puerta Santa Maria leading into the "old city."


Mansilla is another fortified or walled town of about 1,800 people.  It is larger and more built up than some of the other places I have stopped along the way.  It's on the Esla River and has a few well preserved buildings.  One of which I can't believe I am returning to is the Church of Santa Maria.   I was able to visit and make my Holy Hour earlier but their daily Mass is at 8:30PM.   These people are crazy!


The Swiss arriving:
He is from the UK & She is from Turkey

Tomorrow is a light walking day into Leon.  The guide book says to be ready for fumes and chaos and getting lost.  Oh what joy!  I guess I have another intention for Our Lady at the Mass tonight.


Statue of St. James the Pilgrim in front of
the Church of Santa Maria, Manilla

No comments:

Post a Comment