Thursday, June 27, 2013

Penultimate Day in Pino!

Putting things into perspective



Because I had such a long day yesterday, today was a rather light walk, about 3 1/2 hours.  I had reserved a hotel fearing that I might not find a room at the inn as things got more crowded.  God is Good!  I am in garden patio posting this.  It is simply gorgeous.  The cool of yesterday is still with us as the sun reaches full mast.  I'm in a bathing suit because I asked the hotel if they wash clothes and even though they don't normally offer that service they are washing mine as we speak.



Beginning the journey for the second to last day.

I was rather distracted on the path today.  It was near a highway so that was a factor.  I am also aware that the Camino ends tomorrow and that looms large.  But also most of my crowd has passed ahead of me.  No, it's not that I am slow.  I'm rather quite fast on the trails (the New Yorker in me)!  But the longstanding tradition is to complete the Camino Frances in 33 days or stages:  one for each year of our Lord's life.  That simple act has helped keep me united to Him in the midst of some many other blessings I have received these past five weeks.  The Camino is so much to so many.  For me it's an appreciation of God's goodness past and present.

The second ass I've encountered on the Camino-
At least strictly speaking.


I find it strange how for 500 miles there have been references to "The Apostle."  That's James, of course.  But when I was in Rome "The Apostle" was Peter, and if it was plural, "The Apostles" were Peter and Paul.   If nothing else the Apostles were human.  The Apostles were us!  Sadly, many loose sight of the human nature of Our Faith.  Whether it is the heresy to deny the humanity of Christ, or the inability to appreciate, and at times, to forgive the humanity of the person next to you in the community of believers.


It seem as if Mother Nature beckons us onward.


Many pilgrims on the Camino long for a community that is perceived lacking in their world.  Most enjoy the shared goal of Santiago and the shared experiences especially from varied histories.  What I find rather ironic is that is the Church summed in one word.  But so many have stopped looking there or after searching they simply don't find it in their own local experience.


A new landscape to a common purpose.

Tomorrow will be a busy and exciting day.  Besides arriving in Santiago where I hope to concelebrate the Pilgrim's Mass at noon, I learned that on Fridays at vespers the great censer is used:  the botifumero!    After Vespers (the first Vespers of the Solemnity of Ss. Peter and Paul, Apostles) I'll meet Bruce, Stephen and John for a celebratory dinner.


Lilacs on the roadside.


Saturday, I might go to the "end of the earth."  "Finisterra" is what the Romans called the Western coast of Galicia by the Atlantic Ocean.  As far as they were concerned after that there was nothing.  From my perspective I hope that New York still exists!  There is a chance I will go by bus for the day to meet Richard for lunch.  He will continue his walk beyond Santiago.


View from my window.


As I write this on the hotel patio a group of 11 German teens from Fribourg show up with 2 chaperones.  They will be joining me here for the night.  Sadly it is tough for groups to get assured reservations in the albergues this last week so they have to resort to hotels or camping sites.  They began in Sarria and will end Saturday in Santiago with an evening return flight to Germany.  One of the things lacking in the States is this form of shared adventure for young people.  Not sure I could ever take a group, but as I look West to Santiago and beyond to "the end of the earth" I can assure you I will always be a faithful ambassador for the "Camino Frances."


No comments:

Post a Comment