Sunday, June 30, 2013

Settling Down in Santiago


Interior of the Cathedral.



With the excitement and relief of finishing the walk and arriving in Santiago behind me a day, Friday was both strange yet very relaxing.  I went to the Pilgrim’s Office to receive my “Compostela.”  It is a document to confirm that I walked the Camino.  In years past it would entitle the pilgrim to certain privileges.  Today, it is a nice keepsake and I will hold on to it.  At the office I saw the two Camino advocates who bought me drinks after my first day in Santiago.


Campino de Ferradura, Santiago.


It was also the feast of Ss. Peter and Paul, “the other Apostles.”  I went again and concelebrated the Pilgrims’ Mass at the Cathedral.  I met two priests from San Antonio, Texas who were with a group on pilgrimage to the shrines of Europe.  While there were great crowds, it was not celebrated with the Solemnity I was hoping for.  Obviously Compostela is not Rome.


Pictured with Notre Dame John.

After the Mass I met some of the young people who have “adopted” me and we went out for a hearty lunch at one of the few non- Spanish restaurants around.  Way too much food for “peregrinos” who are not walking 18 miles a day, but we tried our best.  John, one of the guys who just graduated from Notre Dame is the secret weapon that seems to eat everything that would go to waste.  I marvel at how he does it and can’t understand how he looks so fit.


Convent of San Domingos de Bonaval.

After a little rest at the hotel and a little prayer at a church near my hotel, I went to the Spanish rail office to get my reservations for my train travels the next week or so.  It was great to do so before hand and the woman was very helpful.


The Municipal Palace with the Cathedral in background.

Before dinner I went to the Cathedral to hear the Confessions of some of the English-speaking pilgrims I had met along the way.  I felt privileged that they had asked me to do so.  I also reserved a chapel for a small group Mass Sunday morning.


Rocky leads his pack out of the Cathedral Plaza.

After taking care of things of the soul, I took care of things of the body.   I had a marvelous dinner with Richard from London.  I managed to find a restaurant that accommodates vegans and carnivores.  It was a quiet evening and again he is great chat.


Returning to the Cathedral Plaza there were still hundreds if not thousands of people gathered at 10:30PM.  Before heading off to the hotel I paused a bit with a gathering crowd to hear two street artists singing opera.  The music and setting were almost magical.  I couldn't help but hum some of the familiar melodies for the rest of the evening.


Bidding Farewell to Martin (center in blue).


Sunday morning began with Mass at the Cathedral.  I celebrated Mass in English in one of the small chapels near St. James' tomb for about ten of the English Pilgrims I have come to know.  Being at the Cathedral before the tourists arrived just reinforced that this whole endeavor is rooted in prayer and striving for union with the Living God.


Sunday in the Park with the Boys.


After Mass I joined Bruce and John for a fancy American Breakfast at the Parador Hotel near the Cathedral.  Delicious would be an understatement.  After breakfast we met another Pilgrim for coffee before he returned home.  The rest of the day I spent with Richard and John as we talked up a storm.  We were joined by others on and off before some ice cream and a walk in the park.


Pictured with Eric, Bruce and Richard.

As the sun lowered on the horizon, I said good bye to Richard, John, Bruce and Eric.  I can honestly say they were very much part of my Camino and I was all the more enriched by them.  I also left feeling positive that there are such fine young people out there.


Cathedral as seen from the Paseo dos Leonis.

Tomorrow I begin a new Camino as I leave Santiago.  I know I do so, changed.

1 comment:

  1. Wooooohooooo! Congratulations, NY!

    -Arkansas Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete