Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Azura in Autumn!

A Sea of Spanish Teenagers! 


 It was only a matter of time.   But today I walked part of the Camino in Autumn.  Yes, I know these are the first days of Summer in Galicia but no one sent Mother Nature the Memo.  I walked 18/19 mile today in pure Fall weather and it was simply splendid!

I left Palas de Rei at 7AM and it was chilly as it has been.  But soon the breezes began as the sun rose.  I can only describe it as Autumn-like.  The whole time there was a breeze (not a wind) making the leaves rustle.  That noise made up for the youth groups.  They are everywhere now.  I turned the corner and got ambushed by about 50 kids outside of O Coto on the Lugo - O Coruna border.  Honest!  They were gracious enough to let me pass through but I was like Moses parting the Red (and Gold) Sea.

Today was actually one of my longest days of walking time wise.  I was on the road for over 7 hours.  Now that came from three factors.


Parish Church (of Saint Roque?), Melida

First there was the length and topography of the hike today.  18 plus miles is just that.   But there were also several rivers we crossed.   Even though the map said it was a relatively flat walk, you go down and walk up from every river crossing.   No fun!

Second I stopped several times to get my "Pilgrim's Passport" stamped.  Each of us has a document to keep track of where we have been along The Way.  When we get to Santiago we will get a document saying we completed the Pilgrimage.   But we have to prove it first and this is exactly what this passport does.  I have plenty of stamps already after almost five weeks.  Now I am just trying to fill in the whole thing.  I have been stopping at each Church to get its seal in my passport and that takes time.  It's about 20 minutes to get the pack off, get the seal, say "Hi" to Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament and get going again.



Sanctuary of the Church of Santa Maria, Melide.


Third are people!  Sometimes it's the crowds on the path (like the youth group I had to swim through).  Other times it's someone you know inviting you to sit for a bit for a cafe or a Fanta.  This all take time.

Thankfully the path today had ample tree coverage.   It really helped out as I was still walking towards 2PM.  Not my style.   And it was not lost on several of the pilgrims who now me know.   They all thought I should be showered and having a drink!


Statue of St. James
Church of Santiago, Boente



Ironically, for my 20th Anniversary as a priest I am concelebrating Mass at a church that is not much older.  St. James in Azura is a very modern church.   Maybe the youngest on the Camino.   In the midst of all this history, I just thought that was funny.

It warmed up a bit today but there i still a crispness in the air.  I hope it will continue to keep me awake and aware the next two days.


Two of the youngest peregrinos yet!
A Mexican couple with their two boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment