Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Calzadilla de los Hermanillos: The Nicest Day - The Most Miles


Church in Sahagun with the relics of St. John of Sahagun.



I set out before sunrise at 6AM today.  I was a little behind my plans because of my stop yesterday and I knew this was a long day 23 miles to Calzadilla de los Hermanillos.   The weather was picture perfect though it got warmer along the way.



Church decorated for the feast of St. John - June 11.
The paths were nice, and the conditions were optimal early on, but I did get a little confused along the way as there was a scenic route (which I wanted, and took) and the highway -  senda - track.



Plaza Mayor - with the remnants of yesterday's fiesta.
I stopped at the town of Sahagún (population about 170,000) unfortunately one day too late.   Yesterday was the feast of Saint John of Sahagún.  I thought I was walking through on New Year's Day.   As the city slept there was just garbage and the men cleaning it up and the ghostly amusement rides all around.  Unfortunately, it took away from some of my pictures.  Later on I met a man from Dublin at lunch today.   He and his wife stayed the extra day in Sahagun when they heard about the feast.  He said it was the best 24 hours of his life!


Arc of San Benito with trucks and booths for amusement rides surrounding it. 



I made it after SEVEN HOURS to Calzadilla de los Hermanillos:   a small village with about 200 people.   There are two albergues, a restaurant, two bars, a guest house and a church:  St. Bartholomew's.  It is peaceful and lovely.  But I am tired and going to sleep.  Will add pictures later.



No comments:

Post a Comment