Monday, June 17, 2013

Astorga and Old Friends!

Wonderful Trails Outside of Hospital de Orbigo. 


I got to sleep in a bit as today's trip to to the ancient Roman city of Astorga is only about 18K.  I had a cup of coffee and was on the road by 8AM.  Returning today were two "old friends:"  rain and mountains.   The meseta had spoiled me for a bit.  The rain was only temporary.  The mountains were just like I remember them - tough!



A German daughter and father enjoying their time together on the Camino.

The guide book says that the stretch I did today was the most beautiful of the Camino.  I have to agree with him.   It was varied and without any cars or roads.   There were trees which would have been more appreciated if the sun was out.   Nevertheless, it was a great walk.  On the mountain just outside of Astorga is the Cruceiro de Santo Turibio, a recognizable image of the Camino.  It marks the point where St. Turibius, the bishop of the area collapsed in prayer and anguish a he was banished from his people.

The Cruceiro in the clearing skies.
The city of Astorga is below in the background.



On the last 45 minutes into the city I walked with a woman from Romania (Not many of them around!)  Juana's (Wana-not sure how to spell here name) English was exceptional.  In fact I began speaking with her because he had the same guidebook as me.  She was very fascinating to talk with.  We poke a lot about the Faith a she was raised without any religion as the vestiges of communism was still present in her home outside of Bucharest.  She was also very flattered when I asked if she just graduated college.  She replied she was 31.  She did not look anywhere near that.



Town Hall in the Plaza de Espana (where lunch was had).

After getting my bed at the albergue I took a quick tour of the town and checked on Mass times.  The Cathedral of Santa Marta was begun in 1450 but took about 300 year to finish.  Next to it is the former Episcopal Palace (now a museum) designed by the famous Spanish architect Antoni Gaudi.  It was finished just a century a go.  There were some other building and squares that were now brilliant a the sun was out in full force against the blue sky.



Gaudi's Episcopal Palace - Now the Camino Museum.

I stopped in the main square, Plaza de Espana,  for a drink.  Richard, one of the South London Lads, showed up and joined me.  We ended up having a very pleasant lunch together at the outdoor table.  He was explaining that his friend, Robert, was a few towns ahead so he was happy for the chat.  As we were eating Jeanne and Dennis (the Dublin couple) passed by and said hello.  I thought they were getting a table nearby out of the sun but they seemed to have disappeared.  I was a little upset because there Camino ends in Astorga as they return to Ireland.  After Mass at Saint Bartholomew's I went to the main square to see if they were around but no luck.


Detail of the Central Portal, Cathedral of Santa Marta, Astorga.

Tomorrow I hope to be on the road early for a full 30K+ day.  I believe both my old friends will be joining me.  I just hope the rain is soft and the mountains not as steep and frequent.




St. Bartholomew's Church, Astorga

No comments:

Post a Comment