Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Palas de Rei - A Cabin in the Country!

The Reservoir Belesar as seen from Portomarin.



I left Portamarin at the ungodly hour of 6AM.  Part was I was awake.  Part wa that I was told the roads and trails are just going to fill as the morning unfolds.  So in the predawn light and fog I set out down from the city to the reservoir and trail.  Strangely at 6AM I was not alone.  The fog disapated after coming down from the town and I was on my way climbing from around 300 meters to over 700.  It definitely warms you up in a hurry.


Will & Vanesa from Holland via Switzerland stop for morning coffee.


The first half of the hike was on trails and the second half was on what the author of the guidebook calls quiet road.  I love that the bet.  Blacktop is my friend!  It must be the New Yorker in me.  Anyway I was in a good place.  Along the road I met the Dutch Couple from Switzerland and we chatted for a bit.  I spent a good hour walking with Italians from near Bolzano in the north.  There were 9 of them.  2 in the car and 7 walking.  There Camino began in Burgos.  But because of time constraints, they are doing it in 10 days so trains and buses, as well as their rented car, are also involved.


After the fog burns off; beauty!

When I got to the outskirts of Palas de Rei it was just after 11AM.  I had done a good 5 hour of walking.  I could have gone further but I had reserved a cabin in the campground outside the city centre.  It was nice and peaceful there and it allowed me to catch my breath.  Additionally I am in no rush to finish this Camino so I tend to be doing less rather than more.  I liken it to a good book.  At the beginning and especially at the end you read fast but at the end you slow down because you don't want it to end.


A bull on the way takes interest in the pilgrims.



The plan is still to arrive in Santiago for the 28th and celebrate the Solemnity of Ss Peter and Paul on the 29th.  So I have three days to go 43 miles.  No problem at all.  Now I get an afternoon of rest watching other pilgrims pas by before I say Mass in the cabin.

The village of Palas de Rei from a distance.


Tomorrow is an 18 mile day before the next reservation making the lat two days relatively light.  But I will still start well before sun up so as to avoid the crowds and confusion that can distract from so much that was experienced and enjoyed so far.


A castle of pine trees appears across the valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment